POSITION: 25-30 hours/week; M-F (flexible schedule); Work from home office
LOCATION: Washington DC metropolitan area (preferred)
MN Associates, Inc. (MNA) is a woman-owned, small business based in Northern VA that specializes in providing education research and program evaluation services to clients across the nation. Established in 2004, MNA is headed by Kavita Mittapalli, Ph.D. who has over 16 years of experience in conducting R & E work for various programs for not-for-profit, for-profit; private foundations, state and higher education agencies and institutions. Through extensive training in both qualitative and quantitative research methods, design, statistical analyses, program management, technical assistance, and decision-making skills, MNA’s team of five evaluators provides thorough, accurate, and timely information on the implementation, effectiveness, and efficiency of program services. MNA’s work is guided by the principles of American Evaluation Association. Currently, MNA is evaluating several programs/initiatives in the P-20 systems across the country: STEM education, literacy, community schools, college and career readiness, gifted and talented education, workforce development, arts integration, teacher quality, education technology, early childhood education, arts integration, and after-school programs.
Our work is primarily supported by state and federally-funded grants that include the National Science Foundation, US Department of Education, US Department of Labor, US Department of Transportation, Department of Defense Education Activity, Private Foundations, Non-Profit Organizations, and others. Recently, MNA became the national evaluation technical assistance provider for the Department of Defense Education Activity to serve over 165 school districts that serve over a million military connected students and their families.
Since its inception, MNA has completed over 200 reports, published 25 research findings-summaries and publications in various peer- reviewed journals, written a book and has contributed chapters in four books and handbooks and has presented in various regional and national conferences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate will…
- Lead in 2-3 projects that include project management, data collection, analyses, and reports completion.
- Collaborate with senior staff to assist and complete ongoing projects – planning, data collection, analyses and reporting.
- Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data through surveys, telephone interviews, and focus groups.
- Create and structure excel spreadsheets, databases, and other data repositories.
- Conduct data entry and analysis activities, such as thematic analysis of interviews and survey data analysis
- Draft deliverables, including writing reports and other products and designing data visualizations (charts, tables, maps, etc).
- Contribute to business development, research/writing projects, trainings, and facilitation.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
The Associate will have…
- Master’s degree or a recent Ph.D. in a STEM field or Social Sciences (knowledge of mid-high-level statistics is a must)
- Two to four years of evaluation experience
- Proficiency in statistical software (e.g., R, STATA, SPSS, other) including being (very) comfortable with using statistics to interpret and present results in a user-friendly manner
• Ability to create graphs using data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, R, Excel)
- Knowledge of /experience with evaluation concepts, frameworks, theories and designs
- Solid research knowledge and abilities, including mixed methods, critical thinking and analysis
- Self-directed and effective communication skills, including speaking, writing, and note-taking
- Interest in evaluation in the areas of STEM education, workforce development, youth development, teacher preparation, after school programs, and arts integration
- Flexible with changing tasks/activities and quick to respond to client needs.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
Occasional local and nationwide travel may be required.
If interested, please email:
1. Current 2-3-page resume
2. Three references (current and past jobs)
3. One evaluation report/work sample (1st or 2nd authored completed in the past 2-3 years)
4. Sample of a completed data visualization example
Please respond by December 1, 2018
kavita at mnassociatesinc dot com