MNA continues to grow! From six to seven and perhaps more team members. We are looking to hire a STEM ed/Social Science researcher/Mixed methodologist with high-level quantitative/analytical skills for a few new large-scale, multi-year grants-funded evaluation projects that will begin in early-mid Fall 2022.
In essence, the applicant must be proficient in doing the following:
1. Research design planning and development
2. High-level data analyses; work with multiple and complex (read messy) data
3. Data visualization (heat maps, data dashboards, infographics) and just-in-time data pulls and reports for clients
4. Social networking analyses (SNA)
5. Some qualitative skills (interviews, focus groups, writing quaL narratives) (a huge +)
6. Good writing and client communication skills, and
7. (Is a) Self-starter and manages projects on their own (with some guidance, of course).
Full details of the job description with a salary range are below:
POSITION: Mixed Methods Associate with Strong Quantitative Skills (contractual)
HOURS: Up to ~25 hours/week
LOCATION: Fully remote
Must be based on the East coast or the Midwest (highly preferred because we have our reasons)
SALARY RANGE: $35-$40K/year
START DATE: Early-mid September, 2022
Who are we?
MN Associates, Inc. (MNA) is a woman-owned, small business based in Northern VA that specializes in providing education research and program evaluation services to clients across the nation. Established in 2004, MNA is headed by Kavita Mittapalli, Ph.D. who has over 18 years of experience in conducting R&E work for various programs for not-for-profit, for-profit; private foundations, state and higher education agencies and institutions.
What do we do?
Through extensive training in both qualitative and quantitative research methods, design, statistical analyses, program management, technical assistance, and decision-making skills, MNA’s team of five evaluators provides thorough, accurate, and timely information on the implementation, effectiveness, and efficiency of program services. MNA’s work is guided by the principles of American Evaluation Association (AEA). Currently, MNA is evaluating several programs/initiatives in the P-20 systems across the country: STEM education, literacy, community schools, college and career readiness, gifted and talented education, workforce development, arts integration, teacher quality, education technology, early childhood education, arts integration, and after-school programs.
Who funds our work?
Our work is primarily supported by state and federally-funded grants awarded to school districts, colleges, and universities that include the National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Labor, NASA, Department of Defense Education Activity, The Institute of Media and Library Services (IMLS), Private Foundations, Non-Profit Organizations, and others.
What have we done so far?
Since its inception, MNA has completed over 325 evaluation reports, published 35 research findings-summaries and publications in various peer- reviewed journals, written a book and has contributed chapters in four books and handbooks and has presented in various regional and national conferences.
Want to know more?
Check us out here: www.mnassociatesinc.com
What are we looking for in the Associate?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate Will…
- Lead in up to 5 projects (most will overlap) that include regular client interface, project management, data collection, analyses, and reports completion.
- Collaborate with other staff, as needed, to assist and complete ongoing projects-planning, data collection, analyses, and reporting.
- Collect and analyze quantitative and some qualitative data through large datasets, online surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
- Create, maintain, and structure excel spreadsheets, databases, and other data repositories.
- Draft deliverables, including writing reports and other products and designing data visualizations (charts, tables, maps, etc).
- Contribute to business development, research/writing projects, trainings, and facilitation.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
The Associate Will Have…
- Master’s degree (earned in the past 3-5 years) or a Ph.D. in a STEM area, Education Research/Methodology, and/or Social Sciences (knowledge and practice of mid-high-level statistics is a must)
- Three to four years of field-based education research/evaluation experience including STEM education, teacher preparation, after school programs, and workforce development
- Proficiency in statistical software (e.g., R, STATA, SPSS, Gephi for SNA) including being (very) comfortable with using statistics to interpret and present results in a user-friendly manner
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to create graphs, heat maps using data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, R, Excel)
- Knowledge of /experience with evaluation concepts, frameworks, theories and designs.
- Solid research knowledge and abilities, including mixed methods approaches, critical thinking, and analysis.
- Responsive to client and team emails, self-directed, and effective communication skills, including speaking, writing, and note-taking.
- Interest in evaluation in the areas of STEM education, workforce development, youth development, teacher preparation, after school programs, and arts integration.
- Flexible with changing tasks/activities and quick to respond to clients’ needs.
Occasional local and nationwide travel may be needed. A reliable mode of transportation for local travel is a must. Expenses will be paid.
If this job is for you, please email all these in one email (zip file/ shared folder is also acceptable):
1. Current 2-page resume with the required qualifications
2. Three references (current and past jobs) (contact emails with short work descriptions)
3. One technical report/work sample with data viz work (1st or 2nd authored completed in the last 2 years)
Please respond by August 22, 2022
US Citizenship is required.